Tami over at Vegan Appetite hosts “Food Network Friday” – a call to cooks everywhere to “veganize” the chosen Food Network recipe. I was excited that I got to pick this week’s recipe: Loaded Mashed Potatoes by Paula Deen. Paul Deen, as you probably know, is the Queen of Cream…and Bacon and Cheese. So modifying her recipe for Loaded Mashed Potatoes, which was loaded with cream, bacon, and cheese, was lots of fun.
Paula Deen’s recipe uses Idaho potatoes. I decided to go a different route and use sweet potatoes as my base. My mom used to make that sweet potato casserole – you know the one with the mini marshmallows – and I had that in mind as I put this together.
(I learned it’s not easy to photograph mashed potatoes and have them look as good as they really are!)
Loaded Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/2 C So Delicious Coconut Beverage (OR you can use soy milk)
- 1/4 C Earth Balance natural buttery spread
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 t vanilla
- 1.25 t salt
- 6 T packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- In a large stockpot, cook potatoes in enough water to cover for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes and return to stockpot. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth; adding all other ingredients except the pecans. With a spatula stir in the pecans if you are using them. Add more salt or other spices, if necessary. Serve immediately.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Menu Plan Monday 11/09 + Sweet Potato recipe (momcooks.net)
- Recipe: Roasted Diced Yams With Smoked Paprika (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Recipe: Cauliflower Potato Mash (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.