We arrived home last night after 10 days on the road. During our vacation we:
- Explored Door County – walked around the cute towns, shopped, got massages at the Lavender Spa in Egg Harbor, and loved the Greens and Grains health food store, also in Egg Harbor.
- Visited our friends Sam and Tessa in Neenah, Wi – went out with several of my friends from high school and had a blast seeing everyone!
- Hung out in Madison with Kiljoong and Christina – walked on State Street, watched the boats and students from the Union Terrace, had a vegan breakfast at Monty’s Blue Plate Diner, and enjoyed Nepalese dinner at veg-friendly Himul Chuli.
- Went to Lambeau Field in Green Bay (aka “Mecca)!
- Visited Gary and Tiffany in Fort Collins and got an in-depth tour of the city and surrounding area – thanks Gary and Tiffany!! xoxo
- Ate at Watercourse in Denver. A lot.
- Explored the city of Denver by foot. Fell in love with Denver.
- Spent lots of time with Jonathan and Lisa, who showed us parts of Denver we hadn’t even thought to explore!
- Spent time with D’s friends from college and had a great time at Benji’s wedding in Keystone, CO.
Wow what a trip, huh?
During our trip I managed to run 6-8 miles nearly every other day. I skipped the last day because we were in Keystone and honestly I was having trouble breathing at times! We also walked a lot in Denver and in Keystone so I’m pretty happy with how I exercised during our trip.
Ok well my eating is another story. As always I struggled with food on the trip. We were able to find vegan food everywhere we went, and once I found it I ate a lot of it! This was especially at WaterCourse, which is definitely my favorite restaurant. It’s so unusual to walk into a restaurant and be able to eat anything that’s on the menu – sandwiches, soups, breakfast scrambles, biscuits, desserts. I loved it and literally ate it up! We ate a lot of food – and then walked most of it off afterwards.
When I go on vacation, I tend to teeter between “hey I’m on vacation and I’m gonna eat whatever I want!” and “just eat when you’re hungry.” I think I did a better job than usual of not beating myself up for eating so much – in the past I probably would have felt really bad about it. This time I figured I’ll get “back on track” when I get home. So I jumped on the scale this morning and see that I only gained two pounds while on our trip. Ok – I can handle that!
How do you approach food and exercise while you are on vacation? Do you indulge (Hey you’re on vacation!) or do you try to maintain good habits (stay the course!)??
Thank you Kate for this blog award!
Here are the rules:
1. Share 7 tidbits about myself.
2. Share the award with 7 blog friends.
7 tidbits about myself:
- I’ve always been athletic – I can’t even remember a time in my life didn’t include some kind of sport or activity in it.
- I can touch my tongue to my nose.
- I’m TERRIBLE at Trivial Pursuit. You definitely don’t want me on your team!
- I am studying to be a Yoga Therapist through The Viniyoga Institute. I’m VERY excited about this training
- I teach yoga full time but I don’t consider it “work” at all.
- I cannot stand to have cold air blowing on me – it literally hurts my skin!
- I am making my way through the Vegetarian Food For Thought podcasts in iTunes. They are excellent – I like to listen to them while I am walking the dogs in the morning.
The 7 blog friends I would like to pass this award along to:
- Bountiful Living Wellness – Kate gives great nutrition advice and I love her Friday Stone!
- Little Speck on Big Planet - If you are looking for nutritious and delicious recipes, Kristen has tons for you to try.
- Myspace.om - Peggy is always “right on” with her life’s observations, and she does it with a great sense of humor.
- Forkbytes - Isabel is also a source of wonderful recipes – I look forward to her blogging more (hint hint!)
- The Self Love Project – beautifully written and inspirational.
- Oh She Glows – I love Angela’s blog. It’s been so fun to watch her grow her “Glo Bakery.” Her recipes are always good.
- Prana Flow Yoga – Cory’s yoga adventures are highly educational and fun to read. I especially loved her Venice blog entry!
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!
I’ve been thinking about doing this for a long time so YAY I’ve finally done it!
My name is Julia and I’m a yoga teacher in Northern Virginia. For the last six years I’ve been on a journey of improving my health and have had amazing results and a lot of fun along the way! These days I get a lot of questions about what kind of exercises I do and what I eat, and so this is my way of sharing that info in the hopes that someone out there will find it useful
So this site is for anyone who is trying to trying to lose weight, get in shape, eat better, and / or find peace with themselves. In this blog I plan to:
- Write about what I’m eating these days
- Share my exercise tips
- Record my recipes and my forays into the thousands of cookbooks that I already have
- Mention anything else that comes up – this will likely include stories about my two dogs Marty and Rosie and life lessons that present themselves as I go about my business
Some things that interest me and that will probably make their way onto this blog:
- Running – I am passionate about running
- Being 40. Yep I just hit the big 4-0 in February. Really it has been just fine. But I am noticing changes in my body and it’s really hitting home how important it is to STAY HEALTHY.
- Yoga! As I said about I am a yoga teacher and I have my own business called Double Dog Yoga. I have a separate blog for my business – I was blogging there about food and stuff but I think now it’s best to keep the two separate. Anywho, feel free to check out my other blog to read about yoga in the news and yoga tips and info by clicking here.
- Cooking – I try to cook dinner 4 or 5 times a week. Sometimes it’s a big deal dinner and sometimes it’s a quickie. Either way I’ll share.
- Baking. I LOVE to bake! Unfortunately that doesn’t match my goal of staying under 125 pounds. So that’s a bit of a struggle.
Ok that’s it for now. I’ve filled out my bio so if you want to learn more take a look